The Grand Canyon is a landmark that everyone knows about or has visited. To say that it is majestic is an understatement. When we visited the Grand Canyon, we were there in November and it was snowy. The best time to visit is April through June before the heat escalates unless you are snowbird!!
The Grand Canyon has three rims (North, South, and West). When we visited the Grand Canyon, we visited the South Rim which is the most popular rim. Approximately 6 million people visit each year. The West Rim doesn’t have as many visitors, however, is starting to become more popular with 1 million visitors per year. The West Rim has an horseshoe-shaped observation deck that stretches over the edge of the Grand Canyon. At the time we were there, the North Rim was closed for the winter season.
So how big is the Grand Canyon?
- Length is 277 Miles
- Average Width 18 Miles
- Average Depth 4,000 Feet
- Greatest Depth 6,000 Feet
Things you didn’t know about the Grand Canyon.
- Canyon is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
- Canyon influences the weather-elevation ranges from 2,000 to 8,000 feet which experiences a variety of weather conditions.
- Hidden caves-there are approximately 1,000 caves, however, only 1 is open to the public. You can visit Cave of the Domes on Horseshoe Mesa.
- Canyon was carved over 6 million years.
- Trying to see both the North and South Rims in the same day would not be feasible. They are about 10 miles apart in the canyon, however, driving would take about 5 hours as it is 215 miles to get from one to the other.
- An aerial view is available at the West Rim at the Skywalk which is an observation deck that stretches out 70 feet. It has a clear bottom for a better view of the canyon.
- Only 8 species of fish 🐠 can live in the Colorado River due to heavy silt and floods.
Grand Canyon Village
Among hotels, restaurants, and shops, there are activities in the village. One activity that we did is at the Grand Canyon Railway. We took a train from the village (which is west of the South Rim) and travels to the South Rim. It is a beautiful ride along the canyon with authentic characters that brings the Old West to life on the train ride.
Other Village Activities
- UTV Tours
- Ranger Tours
- Air Tours
- Bicycle Tours
- Jeep Tours
- Mule and Horseback Tours
- Inner Canyon Tours
- Photography Tours
- Van Tours
If you get a chance to see the Grand Canyon, it is worth the trip!! Enjoy the pictures from our trip!! Last picture is a display that shows the different layers of rock in the canyon!!